Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2009 in France

When it comes down to it, I am very new to the wine world. I've spent the last few years studying everything I can get my hands on about grapes and wines. At times I've spent more hours a day, reading about wine, than I spent at school and work combined. Nevertheless, I was only four years old when the legendary 1982 vintage of Bordeaux was on the vine. When the 1990 Burgundian harvest was safely picked and in the cellar, I was more concerned about the price of the newest video game, than the price of Burgundy futures.

What am I getting at? In my limited years of wine tasting, nothing has impressed me more than the 2009 vintage in France. There are a number of reasons for this, not least is their great early drinkability. In regions like Muscadet, an area that typically doesn't get enough heat to make noteworthy wines, the vintage was almost a once in a lifetime effort. These wines are ripe, laced with minerality, and show lots of fruit. In the Macon and Beaujolais, the wines have a freshness and bright fruit I have never expierienced. I just brought in a declassified Syrah from the northern Rhone, for under twenty dollars, that is just dripping with lavender and blueberries.

I have created a display at the shop, highlighting some of the best 09's to cross my palate as of yet. All are $25 or less, and none will disappoint.

Louis

No comments:

Post a Comment